Graziano Brothers Funeral Home began on Oak Street, Old Forge, PA in 1900, subsequently adding a branch that was located on Main Street, Pittston in 1906.
Jacob Graziano was the actual founder of Graziano Brother Funeral Home. His brothers, Charles and Caesar were integral parts in establishing the business. The three brothers operated both branches until Jacob’s death in 1918.
From 1918-1936 the two locations were run by brothers Charles and Caesar Graziano. The Pittston Branch continued after Charles death in 1936 under a widow’s license with his wife Angeline Sirianni Graziano running operations.
The old forge location ceased in 1944 with the passing of Caesar Graziano. From 1947 -1966 the Pittston firm was jointly run by Angeline and her son Joseph C. Graziano. At this time the funeral home name was changed to J. Charles Graziano Funeral Home.
In 1965, the Graziano's were informed that they would have to move out of their Main St. Pittston location which also served as their residence; this due largely in part to a redevelopment project on Main Street. This is when a search began for the ideal location for a new home as well as a new location for the funeral home.
There were three properties that interested Joseph C. and his wife Mary. First was the piece of land that was situated on Winter St. in Pittston City (Behind the Red Mill). This location is now owned by the Pittston City Housing Authority. The second location was a home along Susquehanna Ave., West Pittston. Both of these locations had a source of water next to them, one being a creek and the other a river. Third was a parcel of land owned by the Pennsylvania Coal Co. located on what came to be known as the Pittston By-pass.
Charles, one of the three original brothers to start the business in 1900 always spoke of how beautiful a view of the water is until it is in your living room as a result of a flood. This notion resonated with his son Joseph C. and for this reason neither of the first two properties listed above were an option. Joseph C. and Mary went on to purchase the parcel of land owned by the Pennsylvania Coal Co. for $6,600 and broke ground on April 5, 1966.
(Note: 11/12/2015) Mary would the story to her grandson Joseph, saying “If we had the money we should have bought half of the by-pass at that time.”)
When our current location was originally built in 1966, many people told the late Joseph C. Graziano that moving out of downtown Pittston would cause him to lose business. "It was too far for people to travel!”. You have to remember back then, the by-pass was like the county, there was one car per family (If That!) and Main St., Pittston was a two-way road lined with thriving businesses and dress factories. Long story short Joseph C. took a chance!
Two generations & three major renovations later the funeral home remains on this stretch of highway that has become one of the main roads in the Greater Pittston Area. With parking for over 100 cars, handicap accessibility from all entrances and just one mile from both Interstate 81 and I 476 (aka. PA turnpike/ Northeast Extension) Joseph's vision proved to be truly progressive.
When Angeline died in 1967, her son Joseph C. Graziano took control of all operations and continued the family tradition as the fifth licensee marking the second generation of the business.
In 1973 Charles J. Graziano joined in the family business as a partner with his father Joseph C.
In 1994 the J. Charles Graziano Funeral Home incorporated and became Graziano Funeral Home, Inc.
After the death of Joseph C. Graziano in December of 1996, Charles J. Graziano has remained Supervisor of the funeral home. (Also note that Mary Leo Graziano and Mary Lou Moraca Graziano have both assisted in the operation of the funeral home for decades)
In 2010 Joseph A. Graziano officially joined the family business following completion of the mortuary science program at American Academy Institute, New York, NY. Joseph is the 4th generation and the 11th in the family to hold a license.
On January 19, 2012 Joseph A. Graziano, son of Charles and Mary Lou Graziano, received his Pennsylvania State Funeral Directors License.
Currently Charles J. Graziano and wife Mary Lou along with their son Joseph A. Graziano and wife Stephanie Graziano run the operations of Graziano Funeral Home Inc.
Graziano Funeral Home has been serving Northeastern Pennsylvania families for over 120 years. We are honored to be a part of the rich history of this community and plan to be a part of it for many years to come.